Here we go - Day 1 - Cycle 1

It's finally arrived, today we start the process to get rid of this thing.

I've spent the morning at home catching up on email after holiday as a distraction and then we head off to the Marsden in Sutton. We arrive as arranged for 11am "Hello - I know you" was the greeting from the lady in reception - one of the parents from rugby ! 

I am shown to my bed in Kennaway Ward. I spend the day having blood and urine tests and have a cannula installed and then it's just waiting for the chemo to start - which won't be until late afternoon.

I'm given the daily menu to choose my lunch, evening meal and breakfast. Tea, coffee and biscuits on demand.  Nat is taking the piss that it's like a spa in here - as the sun shines through the window !

I was introduced to Gethyn, a rugby lad, who used to play locally before he moved back to Wales - same surgery, same treatment of BEP3 and same cycle dates. He is now my "Chemo Friend" - much to the amusement of the Poppy Boys and others - with various messages of "Friends" memes from the Inbetweeners sent through - bastards !

The nursing staff are brilliant and made me feel really comfortable. I was visited by Professor Huddart and his team and it was agreed that everything was OK to proceed.  The nurses took me through what drugs I would be taking this evening.  Various anti sickness drugs, Etoposide, Cisplatin and a rehydration solution.

This all started at 19:40 - and finally finished at 04:00 the next morning.  It was a long session and didn't get much sleep. I felt quite nauseous but was hungry.  I likened the feeling to going out on a massive beer session and missing the kebab shop on the way home, then waking up the next morning with that horrible stomach acid feeling.

I had a biscuit that nearly came straight back up but it didn't. It helped a bit and was given an anti sickness tablet.  A nice english breakfast helped the nausea ease and apart from being tired, I was OK.  A good shower and a day resting / working / conference calls - remote access is brilliant.

My pre-season training for September starts today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it's been a while

Round 3 - Day 1 - Back to The Marsden - The Final Round !

Checkup Time