Back to The Marsden

So this week started off with a phone call from the appointments team, confirming my Urology appointment for Friday.  It's that phone call that remind me of what happened to me this year. It's that phone call that suddenly makes me inwardly worry.......

The reason why - it's back to The Marsden week.  The week when I have to go back, have blood tests and whatever else they decide to do.  It's the only time I really think about what has happened to me and the massive looming question of "What are the tests going to say" - hence the reasons behind my worry.

So as usual - I rock up at The Marsden for my bloods after doing the school run and meet up with Gethyn - #ChemoFriend - in the bloods room.  By change (only because he buggered his dates up), he's also back in today.

So we have our bloods taken and we head off to the canteen for a breakfast and a bloody great catchup.  I spoken via text over the past couple of months but today we got to properly chat over everything.  Family, holidays, hair and how our eyebrows have gone out of control!  Much to the amusement of the two Marsden transport drivers sitting next to us.


It's refreshing to know that we have both had very similar experiences and it's not just me thinking I'm weird !

Whilst waiting for our respective Urology appointments, we went up to visit Kennaway Ward where we had our treatment.  It was great to see the nursing staff again and were welcomed back into the ward with hugs and kisses from the staff.  Such a welcoming and lovely place - a place that will always remain very special to me.

After the catchup, we headed down to the waiting room and the inevitable wait, and wait, and wait.  Then the sign goes up - 60 minute delay...... normally - that would be irritating - but today - it means that the delay is down to someone needing more time in clinic - I know that feeling - I've been there - so the wait doesn't really matter - just an excuse for another cuppa from the cafe while I wait.

Eventually - my time comes, I get shown to the room and meet with the Doctor.  He checks me over, pokes and prods around and asks all the usual questions. Everything is good.  

Blood results are normal and tumour markers are normal.  That sense of relief is indescribable.

I'm then sent off to have a chest x-ray for good measure and given my appointments for my next visit.  I've been moved from a 2 month checkup to 3 month checkup - which is good.  Just before my next visit, I'll have another loads of bloods, chest x-ray and a CT scan.

So - all is good and it's all down to The Royal Marsden and their brilliant staff. 

So - in a way to say Thank You - The Cookies - Me, Natalie, Lewis and Ollie - are going to do The Marsden March next year.  We want to raise some money as a way of showing our appreciation as a family for everything they have done for us.

If you would like to sponsor us, you can make a donation via our Just Giving page - which can be found at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/thecookiewanderers

Any donations to such a brilliant place would be really appreciated.  

Dan
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it's been a while

Round 3 - Day 1 - Back to The Marsden - The Final Round !

Checkup Time