Day 4 - Home, Sweet Home

First three days of my of chemotherapy done and I'm at home, Nat collected me this morning after I had destroyed a hearty Marsden breakfast and I had showered. 

Was weird leaving my roomies - Richard - who is in there for a while to come - he's really poorly and had a bad day yesterday. Was chatting with him this morning, his spirits high today but he said he had no energy. So - what do you do - I made him eat his cornflakes and drink his tea. I said I would see him Tuesday - he said he wasn't going anywhere 😔

The other chap John - he's waiting to find out what was happening - he slept well last night and ate all his breakfast today - so he seems to be improving which is great.

I've exchanged numbers with Gethyn, as we will be in on the same days for treatment - so my "Chemo Friend" can I can keep in contact over the weeks.  I don't envy his 4 hour drive back to Wales though - hope that went well.

As we left the ward today, Richard brought a tear to Nat's eyes.  As I shook his hand - he said it had been an honour meeting me and how I helped keep his spirits up at a difficult time.

I've been given drugs to take and I have to have an injection once a day to help boost my white blood cell count for my immune system. This is where having a paramedic mate comes in handy - he can give me the jabs as the thought of sticking a needle into myself makes me want to hurl. So thanks Steve for offering to stab me for the next week !


Also looking forward to what else can help boost my white blood cells - Guinness was the first thing that came to mind..... ! Although I think that's iron - so it may help. Gin is white.... ? (The final question I asked before departure - can I have a drink ?  Yes - but don't get bladdered was the response !)

I had some lunch at home - and a doze on the sofa -  whilst Nat went out for a well deserved catch up with a couple of the girls - thanks Ladies x

Anyway - So far so good - but I know that I need to be really careful in the big outside world and that at some point - around day 7ish - so I've read (handy these blogs) and heard - it can all start to go a bit shit. But everyone is different so it really is one day at a time at the moment.

I have to avoid people with coughs and colds as my immune system is getting lower and gradually reducing as the cycle goes on. So I'll be watching the footie at home tomorrow as the pub will be off limits.  Fresh air is good, confined spaces aren't good. 

I need to take it easy.  Rest, Rest and Rest. 

Be sensible - moi ? Yep, for once - I have to be sensible.

My weekend priorities are watching Ollie play football Saturday and to get over to watch Lewis and the S&E U13's play rugby on Sunday afternoon in their last match of the season. Which also happens to be a Play off Final - come on Boys. 

I'd love to get down to watch and support the Sutton & Epsom First XV secure National Rugby again for next season - but will have to see how that goes - good luck fellas.

Finally - I wanted to say that the feedback I have received for writing this has been overwhelming. Your support, encouragement and well wishes are amazing so thank you - it means a lot to us.

Have a good weekend 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it's been a while

Round 3 - Day 1 - Back to The Marsden - The Final Round !

Checkup Time